Business Insider just deemed New York City, Miami, Washington DC, Palm Springs, and Las Vegas the top 5 cities you need to visit this Memorial Day weekend. While these places are awesome, they may be a little out of reach if you’re short on time or money. Still, that doesn’t mean you can’t have an action packed weekend elsewhere! For those of you who want to celebrate Memorial Day, but don’t want to wait in long lines or pay $15 for a watered down Vodka Soda, here are 5 other ways you can enjoy your long weekend.
1. Hiking: Hiking is a great way to take advantage of a day off and get in touch with Mother Nature. Gather up the troops and enjoy the view! The best part? It’s usually FREE! Suggested trails in the United States: Pacific Coast Trail, Grand Canyon National Park, Trinity River Trail, Shark Valley, Buckeye Trail.
2. BBQ: Any day is a good day to celebrate with food. If the weather permits, invite some old and new friends to a park or your backyard for a barbecue! Make it a potluck and see who brings the most delicious dish. Suggested food: Potato salad, baby back ribs, hot dogs, ice cream, or something a little different like lumpia or elote.
3. Camping: Camping is a good way to take advantage of a three day weekend, especially with family or friends. Get on Skout, and see what popular campsites are in your area and who else will be there. Don’t forget the s’mores! Suggested campsites: Yogi Bear’s Jellystone Park Camp Resort, Bayou Segnette State Parks, Enota Mountain Retreat, Keaiwa Heiau State Park.
4. Staycation: For those of you who don’t know, a staycation is a vacation at home. You can be lazy in bed all weekend without a care in the world, or visit local attractions you’ve never been to before. If you have some extra cash, spend a few nights in a hotel or b&b and feel like a tourist in your own city! Suggested activities: Bike ride through the city, have a picnic in the park, visit a museum, attend a local open mic night.
5. Shopping: Where there’s a holiday, there’s usually a holiday sale not too far behind. Since you couldn’t make it out of town, why not splurge a little and go shopping? You’ll find some of the best deals out there this weekend! Suggested stores: Walmart, Best Buy, Sears, KMart.
Whether you decide to barbecue or attend a pool party, don’t forget that Memorial Day is a day to remember our fallen soldiers. Have fun, be safe, and don’t forget to share your Memorial Day weekend stories on Skout and see what everyone else is doing too. Skout On!