For National BFF Day on June 8, celebrate your IRL (in real life) and online besties! As technology plays an ever-present part in our everyday lives, we were curious to know how many people are meeting their best friends online in addition to real life. We surveyed more than 3,000 Skouters and found more people are meeting friends in general online than ever before -- and this extends to finding a bestie! While 70% of people surveyed say they have an IRL best friend, nearly half (48%) of people say they have a BFF they met online.
Additional highlights from our National BFF Day survey include:
Women are more likely than men to have a BFF they met online.
- 52% of women surveyed say they have an online BFF, while 46% of men say the same.
People under the age of 30 are only slightly more likely to have an online BFF, but not by much!
- Don’t assume that online friendships are a Millennial thing … 51% of people age 30 or under say they have an online bestie, compared with 44% of people ages 31-40 and 49% of people ages 41 or older.
A BFF who really gets you may not live nearby ...
- 23% of people surveyed say their online BFF lives in a different country, and 28% say their online BFF lives in a different state.
- 50% say their online BFF lives fairly close, with 25% saying they’re in the same city and 25% saying they live in the same state.
Many people have met their online BFF, IRL.
- 45% of people surveyed say they have met their online bestie in person, and 93% say they want to meet their online BFF IRL someday.
IRL or online, friendships are about caring.
- 70% of people surveyed say the best gift from a friend on BFF Day is a heartfelt message or chat session. Only 30% would prefer a gift.
Check out our Skouters who have met their online besties via SKOUT!
Lady Toro and River
“I have a lot of online friends but never had a bestie like her; she rocks!” - River
Alyssa, Jay and Marina
“I love my friends,” Alyssa says. “We share happy moments.”
Natassja and Tara
“She's sweet, a great listener, and cares about me,” Nastassja says about Tara. “I tell her practically everything!”
Justin and Friends
“Without SKOUT, I wouldn't have as many friends. I owe it to you for helping me meet Milly, Jess, Nathan and Kaley. I appreciate having this app and it making a difference in my life.”
Jeph and Alex
“He's a friend that is worth keeping,” Jeph says.
Faith and Jakob
“We talk most of the time,” Jakob says, and the two friends plan to meet in person someday.
Lucas and Friends
“I talk to them every single day!” Lucas has said about some of his SKOUT friends.
Pongchuwala and Friends
“I started to meet people both local and international,” says Pongchuwala. She found Skouters with whom she shares interests on Buzz and Meet, and they stayed up late chatting.
Celebrate your SKOUT besties with a free BFF! Badge! This badge can be found in the Badges category of the Gift Store.
Not sure how to give a gift to a fellow Skouter? Click here to learn how!