At SKOUT, we bring our dogs to work all the time because our K-9 besties make us happy. In the office, we make sure our dogs practice certain etiquette in order to get along well with everyone. We asked our fellow employees what tips they have for other Skouters who are considering bringing their dog to work for the first time.
- Get it approved. Just because others bring their dogs in, does not mean it is a free-for-all. Make sure you have all the necessary approvals from management, and understand any ground rules, before you bring your pooch. (Ryan, QA)
- Don’t delegate. Remember that as the dog owner you are 100% responsible, 100% of the time for your pet’s well being, behavior, and biological needs. Don’t ask your team to walk or clean up after your dog! (Kristen, Human Resources)
- Bring on the goodies! Just like people enjoy snacks and games in the break room, so do your dogs. Biscuits and toys can help you encourage positive interactions with your dog and your coworkers throughout the day. (Nikki, Marketing and owner of Apollo, Nova, Stars and Verse)
- Remember doggie hygiene. The only thing worse than a smelly coworker is a smelly dog! Give Fido a bath and proper grooming before bringing him to work. (Mark, Creative Director and owner of Spanky)
- Remember breakfast is the most important meal of the day, for your dog, too! Feed your dog before going to work, so they don’t get “hangry” and nip your co-workers. (Jane, Marketing and owner of Jakey and The Bean-Dog)
There you have it! Follow those tips when you bring your dog to work, and your dog will shine like a Golden Retriever, unless your dog is a Golden Retriever… then it’s already golden. Shine on!