April 1 kicks off National Humor Month! We’re celebrating by emphasizing the importance of laughter in our everyday lives. It’s true -- laughter is the best medicine. Anyone who’s ever watched a cat video on YouTube after a bad day knows this. But, did you know laughing can help you make more friends?
After examining a sampling of Skouters’ profile pictures, we found Skouters who share a profile picture of themselves laughing have their profile favorited 404% more times and make 324% more connections with others than the average Skouter. Laughter is contagious, and it certainly seems like people want to be friends with someone who has a good sense of humor.
In addition to reviewing profile pictures, we surveyed more than 3,000 Skouters throughout the U.S. to learn their thoughts on humor and friendship. Highlights from the survey include:
We crack ourselves up.
- 75% of people surveyed think they are funny.
- People with a witty sense of humor are most likely to think they are funny (81%).
We enjoy laughing with friends.
- 94% of people surveyed say they enjoy making other people laugh.
- People who say their style of humor is slapstick are most likely to enjoy making others laugh (98%).
Practical jokers attract more friends.
- Practical jokers and people who say “bathroom humor” is their style are most likely to have five or more close friends.
- Least likely to have five or more close friends are people with a sarcastic or self-deprecating sense of humor.
Not everyone laughs at clowns.
- 30% of people surveyed say they are afraid of clowns.
- People with a sarcastic sense of humor are most likely (37%) to be afraid of clowns.
Women will pass on the chick flick -- they prefer comedy films!
- Comedy movies trumped all other genres among women surveyed, with 26% of women preferring comedy vs. 23% who prefer action-adventure, 21% who prefer horror and 18% who prefer romantic films.
- While 43% of men said they prefer action-adventure, comedy came in as the second most popular genre (21%).
Looking to laugh it up with the locals? Here’s where to go...
- New Yorkers and San Franciscans are most confident (83%) that they are funny.
- Houstonians want you to have a good time -- 100% of Houstonians surveyed say they enjoy making others laugh. 98% of Angelenos and Atlantans say the same.
Cards Against Humanity is a popular game among people with large groups of friends.
- More than 50% of people with 5 to 9 friends enjoy playing this card game with their friends.
FREE HUMOR MONTH GIFTS EVERY WEEK!
Throughout Humor Month, we’ll be giving away one of the following gifts each week: HAHA, JAJA, Laughing Monkey and Laughing Panda. These Gifts can be found in the Humor category of the Gift Store. Stay tuned for the free Gift of the week!
The simple act of giving a Gift to a fellow Skouter can really brighten their day. Click here to learn how!
SHOW US YOUR BEST #LOL FACE
Let the data speak for itself! Skouters who have a profile picture of themselves laughing make more connections than those who don’t!
We want to see a picture of you laughing! Post a picture of yourself laughing to the Buzz with the hashtag #LOL. We’ll choose our favorites and give them 500 Points!