Coachella officially kicks off the 2014 music festival frenzy with the first round of shows this weekend in Indio, California. With headliners like Calvin Harris, Lana Del Rey, Zedd, Lorde, and Outkast, the 2014 shows are sure to attract a record breaking number of attendees from all over the world.
While veteran Coachella goers have their weekend strategy down pact, surviving your first music festival without losing your phone (or mind or liver or soul) can be a daunting task. Here are a few tips to ensure maximum epicness whether it’s your first Coachella or third.
Lodging: If you’re anything like me, you’ll want to book a place to stay OFF site. If you plan ahead, the extra cost for an actual roof over your head, running water, air conditioning, Wifi, and electricity will be worth it. Otherwise, you can be traditional and camp on the designated festival grounds. All I have to say is, BABY WIPES. Lots of them. Either way, it’s sure to be an experience and you will definitely have the time of your life!
Attire: Whether we’d like to admit it or not, Coachella is the laid back, hippie sister of fashion week in New york. Still, functionality over function always. Unless you’re Selena Gomez in VIP, you don’t want to be THAT GIRL walking around the dessert in broken heels. Thus, I wouldn’t leave home (or your tent) without the following:
- Comfy, close-toed shoes
- A bag that requires as little effort to hold as possible, i.e. backpack, cross-body bag, or fanny pack. We recommend that way it’s easier for you to access your things, but harder for others to steal from you.
- It’s the desert, so it’s going to be hot. DUH. This is where you have to be strategic, and think of everything, especially for the ladies. While rompers are easy to wear, they’re hard to use the bathroom in. Also, think about tan lines, and bring lightweight items that you can carry around in the day that will keep you warm at night. It’s the desert, so it’s going to be freezing at night. DUH.
Safety: We’re trying to have the most possible fun you can have without visiting a jail cell or emergency room. So we’re going to risk sounding like your mother in the name of safety.
- Stay hydrated!!!!
- Slather on the suncreen
- Grab a mini first-aid kit to bring with you
- Bring a portable phone charger (mophie is our favorite!), and write important numbers on a piece of paper (gasp) just in case!
- BE SMART. Don’t take candy from strangers, or jump into random white vans. We don’t care if they have puppies and cupcakes inside, DON’T DO IT!
Last, but not least - USE SKOUT! What better way to connect with new and old friends at the festival?! Keep your buzzfeed buzzin, and don’t forget to share your experience and post lots of pictures! #SkoutOn