It's St. Patrick's Day on Sunday, and to get in the spirit Skout HQ had a visit from the Lucky Leprechaun this morning. Even if you're not seeing real live Leprechauns you can still spread some luck with a green themed virtual gift. Take it one step further and personalize it with your favorite St. Paddy's Day fact to make your gift stand out. To help you in both areas, we've got gifts ready to send in the Skout store and green themed trivia below. So kick off the celebration and get you in the spirit, with these “lucky” facts about St. Patrick’s Day!
- The very first St. Patrick’s Day Parade was held in Boston in 1737, not in Ireland.
- There are over 100 St. Patrick’s Day Parades in the US
- Montreal holds the record for Canada’s longest running parade, which debuted in 1824
- Legend holds that each leaf of a clover has a special meaning: the first is for hope, the second for faith, the third is for love and the fourth is for luck-which is where the lucky four leaf clover comes from
- Over 94 million people will wear green on St. Patrick’s Day
- Wearing green, legend says, makes you invisible to Leprechauns and the pranks they might play
- Leprechauns are always male (which begs the question, how does the Leprechaun population continue to grow)
- St. Paddy’s (not Patty’s) Day is short for St. Patrick’s Day
- 5.5 million pints of Guinness are consumed on any given day globally, but on St. Patrick’s day the number reaches 13 million pints
Different cities celebrate in different ways:
- Seattle paints a green stripe down their roads
- Chicago dyes their rivers green
- Dublin, the Capital of Ireland, has a St. Patrick’s Day festival from March 15-19
- Most pubs in Ireland are closed on St. Patrick’s Day
So have fun, be safe and don't forget to wear your green!